Let me add one more short list!
Our top 5 best 2021 communication habits you can use in 2022
- Find the humor. Even during drama-filled situations – funny stuff happens. Use this material in your conversations/presentations.
- Ask questions. You will be forced to listen more and you’ll learn more than if you’re doing all the talking.
- Read more. Fiction or non-fiction – you’ll gain insights and become even more articulate. Even a trashy novel can provide examples of how to use dialog, plot development, what makes for a good or dumb story.
- Reflect on your positive communication experiences in 2021. You do a great job of remembering in exquisite detail when you think you’ve failed at running that meeting, or facilitating the board discussion, or giving a speech to your shareholders. Think back on when you rocked on your platform(s). Not only will this make you feel great – but it has a positive rollover effect on your future gigs.
- Write more. I began writing this weekly blog years ago – kicking and screaming. I did not want to add this task into my weekly regimen. Now I realize it’s been one of my best communication habits. Writing makes you a better communicator. I am forced to observe with purpose… all the time… constantly mining for good info and stories. My friends live in fear of when they’ll be quoted here!
I look forward to writing and sharing more communication insights in this Speak For Yourself® Blog in 2022.
Happy and healthy new year!
Author: Karen Cortell Reisman is Founder of Speak For Yourself®, a communication consulting firm, and the author of 2 books on how to communicate. She lives in Dallas, Texas and thanks all her friends, family and clients for providing clever blog material this year.
Did you know we offer a free 20-minute communication consultation?
© 2021 Karen Cortell Reisman, All rights reserved
Photo © 123rf.com