Would you like a checklist on how to sound confident and comfortable in these potential landmine moments?
Reach no further than watching a few acceptance speeches on the 2021 Emmy Awards Show.
The Emmy Awards Acceptance Speeches – the ebullient, memorable and bumbling
You may get caught by surprise when a mic shows up pointing straight at your face. Understandable.
How can these show business celebs be surprised when they’ve been nominated and one of them WILL be getting a trophy??? Mind boggling.
Even considering the emotional rush of adrenaline, these folks should know better. Many used notes that were crumpled, upside down, and two pages 🙄. Others mumbled. A few spoke brilliantly.
Your Impromptu Speech Checklist
Heed the advice of Mark Twain who said, “It takes me about 2 weeks to prepare for a good impromptu speech!”
- Think about what questions others might ask you, so that you have some ready responses in your head.
- Practice your reply to this question: “We’re going to go around the table. Please share a short introduction.” Been there? Think Mark Twain and prepare ahead.
- Use the Pros/Cons template to organize your thoughts. Can you itemize your response by sharing the advantages and disadvantages?
- Respond temporally. Can you describe your topic using Past, Present and Future categories?
- Think about your conversation from various Points of View. Example: What does your marketing department think, your research team, your supply chain group?
You’re a leader. You can outdo these paid actors on giving impromptu comments! Better yet – call us!
For this blog’s inspiration I thank a recent prospect who wants to hone his skills on speaking extemporaneously. And, thanks go to our Emmy Award Winners for showing us good to horrible acceptance speeches.
Author: Karen Cortell Reisman is Founder of Speak For Yourself® , a communication consulting firm, and the author of 2 books on how to communicate. She lives in Dallas, Texas and embraces her addiction to the Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes and Tony Award Shows.
© 2021 Karen Cortell Reisman, All rights reserved
Did you know we offer a free 20-minute communication consultation?
Photo Copyright: www.123rf.com