- Don’t give out a business card. All he will do is lose it in his car or pocket. However, do take his business card. Now YOU are in control of continuing the conversation. You won’t throw this business opportunity away!
- Take time off. Okay, you do work for a living. BUT, you will be refreshed, rejuvenated, and more productive when you’ve had a break. The amount of time doesn’t need to be weeks. Maybe it’s just an afternoon. In fact, close the office for an afternoon and treat your team to some surprise event like getting manicures or going to the zoo. Now everyone is energized and more creative.
- Don’t send a return email right away. Your immediate response will spoil people. Return the email within 24 hours. You will be perceived as efficient but not as a techno-slave. One exception: emergencies.
- Give content away. “Free is your best friend,” said founder of Wildfire Marketing Rob Eagar. “Giving away part of your content is one of the best ways to generate sales.” While Rob is talking about book sales, think how this relates to your business. Everyone likes getting something for free. You can create and communicate good will by giving away a “white paper”, an article that relates to your client, or a $10 Starbucks card.
- Don’t tell jokes. Jokes around politics, sex, and religion usually offend somebody. But, do have a sense of humor! Observe the funny stuff that’s all around you. This takes training. Start your morning meetings with something funny that happened the day before. Humor makes your message stick. Plus it puts you and everyone around you in a good mood.