You will find three short and succinct ways to improve your listening skills in my recent blog series.
Unfortunately, you do a much better job of NOT listening – to your team, your colleagues, your family, your stockholders, and your board of directors.
Let’s review your crappy listening skill behaviors:
- You’re texting while listening
- You’re watching a TV while listening
- You’re writing an email…
- You’re already thinking about what you’ll say next
- Your opinion is SET so you are not open-minded
- You can’t wait to share your “worse than their story” story (“Your flight was delayed 3 hours? When I flew to Lisbon after getting to the airport at 5:30am, they delayed our flight till 3pm!” …)
- You can’t wait to share your story – no matter what the other person is saying
- You are multitasking during a webinar or teleconference call
- You interrupt
Stop doing these things!
Listening = information = gained knowledge = heightened wisdom.
© 123RF Stock Photo
© Karen Cortell Reisman, M.S., author of 3 books and President of Speak For Yourself®, works with decision makers on how to speak with gravitas. It’s all in how you speak for yourself. Karen also speaks about her cousin, Albert Einstein, in a message about hope, resilience and brassieres.
Read more at www.SpeakForYourself.com/blog.
Did you know that we also work 1:1 with decision makers on overcoming the fear of public speaking? Click here: http://www.karencortellreisman.com/seminar-what-i-didnt-say.html